Director of Marketing & Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communication (DMAC) is responsible for implementing and managing the overall marketing and branding efforts for the organization, as well as all managing all business relationships. The DMAC reports to the Producing Artistic Director. The DMAC plays a vital role in the strategic development of the organization’s marketing and branding efforts and works closely with other staff members to achieve the organization’s goals as they relate to overall community standing and industry reputation.
The Director of Marketing & Communications will manage a department with two direct reports:
· Digital & Social Media Associate
· Patron Services Manager
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Primary Responsibilities: The Director of Marketing and Communication: 1) manages the organization’s programming and branding marketing efforts; 2) manages organization’s business relationships including but not limited to advertising sales, program sponsorships, and season sponsorships; and 3) organizes the overall branding guidelines for all communication and collateral messages (visual and verbal) as they relate to all departments and aspects of the Lake Dillon Theatre Company.
Secondary Responsibilities: The Director of Marketing and Communication: 1) coordinates with the Events and Community Outreach Committees to support marketing and branding initiatives related to special events and fundraisers; 2) collaborates with Director of Development on public relations strategies and donor branding strategies as it pertains to marketing efforts; and 3) plays an ongoing role in patron relations, including but not limited to front of house tasks and participation and support in development and patron events as needed.
Overview: Marketing responsibilities include: strategic planning, coordination and implementation of annual marketing and branding plans; management of web-based and social-media marketing; coordination of event and secondary marketing initiatives.; other non-identified tasks related to the fields of marketing and branding.
Sales responsibilities include: strategic planning, solicitation, and ongoing maintenance of relationships with business partners; management of advertisement sales; management with business database maintenance; management of benefits fulfillment; implementation of ad and corporate sales; other non-identified tasks related to the field of business partner development, experiences, and benefits.
The Director of Marketing and Communication will work in an integrated environment with all departments, especially development and patron relations departments, in the fields of branding and public relations. Internally, this position interfaces with production and education departments as it relates to all marketing and branding efforts.
The Director of Marketing and Communication will develop measurable strategic goals that have direct impact on Lake Dillon Theatre Company revenue streams, including ticket sales, ad sales, and business sponsorships. Additionally, this position will coordinate with the Director of Development, Patron Services Manager, and Events, Development, and Community Outreach Committees, as well as other non-identified individuals and groups, to achieve marketing and branding goals.
Some specific duties:
Marketing, Advertising, and Branding of General Programs:
• Creating and managing initiatives and channels pertaining to advertising of theatre, music and concerts, and other performance-related events
• Creating and managing initiatives and channels pertaining to organizational branding, as well as branding of theatre, music and concerts, and other performance-related departments
• Establish and provide oversight of all marketing and branding collateral pertaining to general programs
Marketing, Advertising, and Branding of Development and Outreach Initiatives:
• Creating and managing initiatives and channels pertaining to advertising of development opportunities and outreach initiatives
• Establish and provide oversight of all marketing and branding collateral pertaining to development initiatives
Ovation Magazine (if produced):
• In collaboration with the PAD and Director of Development (DD), strategic planning and design of Ovation Magazine
• Planning, soliciting, implementing, and follow through of all ad sales pertaining to OVATION
Business Relations and Sponsorships
· Under the direction of the PAD and in collaboration with the DD through integrated planning and fulfillment, this position will provide strategic planning, budgeting, solicitation, and implementation of sponsorship efforts relating to all aspects of programming, including theatre, music concerts, educational programming, and season sponsorship
Website and Social Media Platforms
• Coordination of all website applications and oversight of all staff controls to website interface
• Coordination of all social media platform efforts, including training of staff, seasonal staff, board, and volunteers on web positioning and presence
Budget and Financial Management
· Under the direction of the PAD, creating and managing the marketing budgets (revenues and expenses) for all initiatives and channels pertaining to advertising of theatre, music and concerts, and other performance-related events
· Under the direction of the PAD, creating and managing the business sponsorship budgets (revenues and expenses) for all initiatives and channels pertaining to sponsorships, business relations, ad sales and other partner-related activities
· Working with PAD to determine ticket sales (earned revenues) goals for all programming
· Serving as the marketing and branding liaison with Town of Silverthorne staff, which includes but is not limited to recommending and implementing joint marketing efforts, co-advertising arts initiatives for local and destination target audiences, and collaborating with TOS on the implementation of any joint events
· Interfacing with the Summit Chamber/Silverthorne Chapter to establish business relationships and further organization’s position in the community
· Working with board committees on staff events
· Under the direction of PAD, creating expectations for other staff members as they pertain to events
Branding and Visioning
· Providing direction to staff and board about overall organizational marketing and branding efforts
· Training for social media use
· Collaborating with development and outreach staff on community marketing, public relations, and branding efforts
These competencies are to be demonstrated by everyone in employed at the Lake Dillon Theatre Company. They represent a standard of expectancy as it relates to the organizations core values.
• Quality/Compliance: Achieving a standard of excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring the LDTC policies
• Customer focus: Striving for the highest customer satisfaction, going out of our way to be helpful and pleasant, making it as easy as possible on the customer rather than our organization
• Communication: Balancing listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, keeping others informed
• Collegiality: Being helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
• Initiative: Taking ownership of our work, doing what is needed without being asked, following through
• Efficiency: Planning ahead, managing time well, being on time, being cost conscious, thinking of better ways to do things
• Coachability: Being receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement
• People management (for those with direct reports): Setting clear expectations, reviewing progress, providing feedback and guidance, holding people accountable
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description, and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job. The Marketing and Sales Manager supervises the overall marketing and branding transactions and plays a strategic role in determining earned revenue streams related to ticket sales. Accurately accounting for expenditures is vital to staying within the marketing/sales budget.
Ideal candidates have a minimum Bachelors degree in a related field with 4+ years of marketing and/or sales experience in a related field. Good organizational and administrative skills with the ability to multi-task. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and be a team player with excellent time management and people management skills. Written and oral presentation skills a plus. Intermediate computer skills in PC and/or MAC systems. Knowledge of web and social media outlets a necessity. Experience working on software programs including content management systems preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
Lake Dillon Theatre Company offers a starting salary range of $65,000 to $68,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid time off, health insurance, short-and long-term disability, and life insurance.